Sunday, July 14, 2019

Thankful Sunday, July 14, 2019

I am thankful for my grandmother.

My grandmother and some of her grandkids.
There were 6 more born after this.

Today is my paternal grandmother's birthday. Yvette would have been 116 years old. She was born in 1903 in rural West Virginia and got married 20 years later. After a couple of years, she and my grandfather settled on a farm that is still in the family today.

She grew the food, churned the butter, and kept the books on the things they sold as well as the weather. But the most important thing she did was to raise 8 kids. And it was not easy. After a childhood accident, my Aunt Ellen was disabled for the rest of her life and bedridden for many years of it. Also, my grandmother lost another child soon after his first birthday.

However, one of the hardest parts of Yvette's life were the difficulties that my grandfather had after several unfortunate things happened to him. He used alcohol to deal with his pain and it was not good. Because of this, there was every reason for my father and his siblings to grow into dysfunctional adults, but they didn't. They were good parents and spouses, worked hard, and contributed to their communities. And that is because of my grandmother. Her calm steadiness was able to give them the stability they needed to rise above the problems in the family.

So for my grandmother, who was able to raise her children into responsible, happy adults, I am very thankful. Happy Birthday, Grandma Yvette.


15 comments:

  1. Your grandmother left quite a legacy. People who rise about difficult circumstances are fascinating to me. I love old pictures like that! Are you in it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky that my father did not pass on the problems of his youth that so often happen. I give my grandmother a lot of credit for that as well as his sheer determination.

      Yes, I am in the picture. Here's your clue. I'm not the oldest or the youngest. I'm sure that helps a lot. :)

      Delete
    2. You are having way too much fun with this! If I remember correctly, your hair has reddish tendencies. I don't remember where you fall in birth order with your sisters. I'm gonna guess you are one of the redheads in the back row (either the second from the left or the fourth from the left).

      Delete
    3. I am a redhead in the back row. But that's as far as I'm going.

      Delete
    4. I see I'm on the right track! :)

      Delete
  2. hahaha on the clue! You are fortunate to have had her as your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's another clue. I'm not wearing glasses. :)

      Delete
  3. Your grandmother sounds like she was a very loving and strong person. She looks very happy in the picture; I'm sure she as happy to have so many grandchildren around her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was quiet but strong and very smart and she always enjoyed having family around.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful woman. Happy birthday in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of her children are now there with her and I'm sure she's happy.

      Delete
  5. That is an amazing story. What a strong and determined woman, to surmount many difficulties and with calmness. My paternal grandmother had 12 kids. One set of twins died of measles I think within their first year. Another child died at 17 when a car he drove went into the Westfir Mill pond. Those mill whistles blew and blew, as they did in the town where I grew up, whenever there was an accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandmother had a lot of tragedies in her life. She must have been a very strong woman to survive them and I sure it must have been extremely difficult for her to hear those whistles ever again.

      Delete
  6. Kind of late to this post, but.. I'm glad I went back. I'll echo everyone else and say what a great remembrance of your grandmother. Great photo, too, of her and all your cousins ! (I think I got the "mystery" too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you've actually seen me before, you have an advantage over the others. You probably did figure it out.

      Delete

What do you think?