Thursday, June 13, 2019

Cycles


I rose to the patter of rain this morning. A peaceful, calm start to the day. The ground was dry, so I'm sure all of the plants are happy. The gentle rain fits my reflective mood.

My uncle died on Tuesday and he was the last of my father's siblings to pass. That has me thinking a lot about the cycle of life and how it has been repeating itself forever. I saw my uncle just over a month ago when I attended his wife's funeral. He had been sick, but I think losing his partner of 63 years brought him to another place in his life where he was ready to move on to the next stage.

But all is not melancholy.  My sisters and I are traveling across the mountains to West Virginia to attend his services and will be gone for a couple of days. An adventure in the making and I better go finish getting ready. I have the important part done, the snacks. I have several little bags of cookies and some bags of trail mix ready to go. And to pretend that we're eating more than just junk food, Ward cut up some cucumbers for us.

Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. My deepest sympathies on the loss of your uncle. Yes, I'm sure the passing of his wife had an impact on him. I hope you and your sisters have a safe journey to the funeral and back and a lovely time enjoying each other's company and those wonderful snacks!

    The photo of the buttercups in the rain looks lovely! I haven't seen any buttercups here, but they grew wild when I was in Wisconsin. I still have a few I picked and pressed, one time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. We had a safe trip and a good time together in the car eating snacks and telling stories. Losing someone is always hard, but the stories are fun to tell about their life.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss of both your uncle and his wife. I hope the time with sisters and others provides solace and good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, e. My uncle was close to my father so his passing brought out good stories about both of them. Sometimes sad, but good memories.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your uncle. My mother died last year at the age of 96. My father was one of seven children and she was the last of the siblings and their spouses. Definitely the end of an era - but so many good memories of them all.
    That's Purrfect
    Not So Sweet Toffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My mother died last year, also. She was the last of her generation and my uncle was the last of his. Definitely a reflective time. But you are right. We are very lucky to have lots of good memories of all of them.

      Delete
  4. I, too, am sorry about your loss. I hope the trip with your sisters lightens your days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I feel very lucky that I have sisters to share these experiences with. I am, also, very lucky to have close cousins to share these things with, too.

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking a lot about same thing since Vicki died. I learned from her death, the now or never lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A death of someone close to you causes a lot of refection as you have found.

      Delete

What do you think?