Sunday, February 17, 2019

Thankful Sunday, February 17, 2019

I am thankful for good teachers.

As we have been sorting through boxes of things from my parents house, there have been a lot of trips down memory lane. Recently I took one of those trips with my sisters as we were looking at old yearbooks trying to decide who got which one. We had fun reading signings and remembering old friends and teachers. Later this got me thinking about some of the excellent teachers I had growing up. Our school system didn't have much money and we had overcrowded classrooms in rundown facilities, but I got a good education because I had good teachers.

A few come to mind. Miss Stemple, my first grade teacher, who read to us every day after recess and kept us wanting to hear what happened next. She also had us write the Roman numerals from 1 to 500 (10-20 every day) which reinforced the sequencing of numbers besides learning Roman numerals and practicing our fine motor skills.

Then there was my third grade teacher, Mrs. Conley, who had us put on a radio broadcast every morning. No fancy equipment here. Just a bicycle light taped to a pole that looked like a stand up microphone. At home, we would scour the newspapers for stories that we would get up and report on. There was a timekeeper who watched the clock and a recorder who posted all of the articles (some handwritten). We even made up ads for the broadcast with original songs composed during recess. Everyone loved it and I still remember, "This is GC3 going on the air at 9:05."

Mr. Westfall
In 7th and 8th grade I had a wonderful science teacher, Mr. Westfall, who made science seem so simple. He explained things in matter of fact way with everyday examples. We learned about heat exchange by looking out the windows at nearby houses and examining how much snow was on the roofs. We would guess which ones had the better insulation by how much snow we saw.  Another time while learning about combustion, he told us when buying a used car, to always look at the tail pipe. If you see black, it means the engine is not working well and there is incomplete combustion going on. And the list goes on.
Mr. Dimmick

In high school, I had the same math teacher, Mr. Dimmick, all four years. When I got to college I found I was more advanced than most of my classmates in calculus who had gone to richer, bigger schools with more offerings.

These are just a few of the good teachers I had over the course of my formal schooling. And for the many things they taught me in a very skillful way, I am thankful.





12 comments:

  1. Ahh, teachers. We are lucky to have them and they are one of the most unappreciated professions on the planet (and no I am not nor have I ever been a teacher). While we are thanking teachers I will add Mrs. Barnes, Miss Creel, Mrs. Buettner, and Miss Holland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does take a special person to be a good teacher. They have such a variety of students with different learning styles and behavior styles they have to manage.

      Delete
  2. I will join you in thanking good teachers. I was blessed to have some really good teachers when I was going to school and so was my daughter. I sent my daughter to public schools even though our school district wasn't/isn't though of that highly. But, her teachers were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes one good teacher to spark the joy of learning. Some kids are naturally very curious and some not so much. Those are the ones that especially benefit from a good teacher. Once again, thank you,teachers.

      Delete
  3. Teachers rock! I have had some great teachers, and with 2 kids in school, I once again am appreciating how much of themselves they give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some great teachers in my day, too. I loved my first grade teacher, Mrs. Holly. She left part way through that year to have her baby. You know how a baby's timing goes. They can be pretty darn inconsiderate. lol Anywho, her replacement was the polar opposite. Cold and hateful to the core. I don't know what that woman's problem was but I was certain her life mission was to ridicule me for my inabilities every chance she got. She also served as my second grade teacher. I was so happy when I went moved to grade three. Other than that one bad experience, most teachers I had went well beyond their call. I'm sure there are good ones still teaching but nothing compares to those men and women from the my years spent in the educational institutions. They certainly weren't doing it for the pay. I think they loved what they were doing. Being a teacher is like a calling from God or so it seems? lol Thanks for sharing your memories with us with these good teachers from your past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few bad teachers out there, but that will have to be another post because I am not thankful for them. First grade is definitely not the place for a mean teacher. Sorry you had one, but it looks like you survived.

      Delete
  5. I went to a small religious school grades 1 through 8. The wife taught lower four grades and husband up upper four. We just had subjects, same teacher for all, and recess where we lined up and did calisthenics. I think there were probably about 40 kids in all 8 grades. Two rooms, one for the lower four, one for the upper four grades. I can't say we learned much of anything. At home, at least, my parents wouldn't allow us TV for years, and finally when we got one, only one hour max per night, after homework. so we read books from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty restrictive and recess didn't sound like much fun. What did you think when you were there? I've heard one of the benefits of multiple grades in one classroom is that you learn a lot from listening to other lessons. Was that true for you?

      Delete
  6. I went to work in a nursing home when I was 19. I soon learned that one of the residents there was my third grade teacher. It was easy to “return the favor” of caring for her, as she had cared for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Conley (seen above) lived to be almost 100. When she was in her 90's, I wrote her a letter about what a good teacher she had been. She really appreciated that, as I'm sure your teacher appreciated the way you helped care for her. Nursing home work takes a special person. Thanks for doing it.

      Delete

What do you think?