Saturday, November 17, 2018

A Fun Trip

The outside is covered in a mirror mosaic.
This weekend is a weekend at home. Yea! It seems since August, I have been gone at least every other weekend. Too much for me. It's hard to get traction on the things that need to get done at home when we're gone.

With that being said, here's one of the places we went recently with my father-in-law and his girlfriend, The American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore. We have visited here before, but I never get tired of going. It is a totally fascinating (some would say quirky) place. All of the works are by untrained artists who are doing the work more for the process than the product. We particularly wanted my FIL to go because he has made several things very similar to works we saw there. The dream would be to get some of his things exhibited. But that's a big project for another time.

To make things simpler, we did all the driving. A lot driving, but some of the best conversations happen in the car. :) As hoped everyone enjoyed the museum, especially my FIL, who by the end, was relating to some of the artists because he could tell they probably enjoyed making their creations as much as he does making his.

Here are a few pictures from the day. No flash allowed, so some of the pictures are kind of dark.

This is Fifi, the mascot of the museum. She goes to a lot of parades.


This entire wall was filled with quilt "squares" made from neckties.


This was in the OCD room where everything had a lot of detail. 
This room was my favorite.


If you look closely, you can see that this mosaic was done with Maxwell House coffee cans. Also notice the cafe coffee station in the background.



This is in the main lobby.


Don't remember the details of this one, but it was interesting to me.



They had a display of mostly wooden mechanical toys. Ward and his father were especially happy that the insides were exposed so they could study how they worked.


There was everything in this dino sculpture except the kitchen sink.
 It reminded me of an eye spy book.


A closer look at the above picture.


This sculpture outside the museum was moving all of the time.


You can walk through this creation.

So many more things to show, but I think this was enough to give you an idea of the fun we had at that day.

Note: If you go to the link above to a previous post about this museum, you'll get a little better idea of the philosophy of it.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I love art like these pieces. I could not really see what the dino was made from, looked like junk, old toys, dolls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying not to have too many pictures, but I went back and added a close up the the dino. It's much more interesting to see it in detail.

      Delete
    2. Wow! A little bit of everything!

      Delete
    3. Yep. You could spend all day just seeing everything in this piece.

      Delete
  2. My family would enjoy going there. I love the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they would. There is something for everyone.

      Delete
  3. What a fun and interesting place! I liked the neck tie quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would like the necktie pieces since you are a quilter. You can't see in the picture, but up close you can see how good the work was--very precise. A very talented person worked on all of those.

      Delete
  4. amazing art.....i love all the pictures....

    Book online bus ticket from Redbus

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not an museum person (Mainly because of the walking), but the art is amazing. My favorites are the mascot, wooden mechanical tiger and the quilt patches. Awesome!! Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father-in-law was with us, who also has trouble with walking. But between the elevator and the frequent benches, he had no problems. I bet you'd do okay, too. You should check out the accommodations in museums around you. They might be easier than you think.

      It would be hard for me to pick out a favorite. It changes from time to time, but I really liked the painted screens. Maybe because we got to watch a movie about the people who made them and the neighborhoods they were in.

      Delete

What do you think?