Sunday, June 3, 2018

Thankful Sunday

I'm thankful for a rotting fence.


We have a split rail fence around the entire perimeter of our backyard, and it seems as if one rail or another is always rotting. This requires continual maintenance and I find that annoying. But not yesterday. Yesterday, a pileated woodpecker decided that the decaying fence rails were the perfect place to look for bugs. He stayed long enough going up and down the fence that I had time to go inside and get my camera. This sighting made my whole morning. So for my rotting fence and the visitor it brought, I am thankful.


8 comments:

  1. They are such beautiful (noisy) birds. I would be thankful for the rolling rail also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see them very often and was very excited the first time I saw one because to me, it was Woody Woodpecker in the flesh.

      Delete
  2. What a neat sighting! Glad you had a lemonade-out-of-lemons experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in such a hurry to fix the fence now. :)

      Delete
  3. No doubt the woodpecker was grateful for the rotting fence and the meal it provided him! I loved the Woody Woodpecker cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't you just hear Woody Woodpecker's call right now?

      Delete
  4. Oh my, that is one gorgeous woodpecker! I've never seen a pileated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are mostly an eastern bird but I see that they are also along the coast of the northwest. I don't see them very often--usually only once a year. That's why I get so excited.

      Delete

What do you think?