Tuesday, March 13, 2018

First thought, Second thought

Well, I have definitely gotten out of the habit of posting regularly here. When I think about writing something, I can't think about much to say. My days just don't seem interesting enough to write about them. Pretty routine would pretty much describe them. Do the dishes, go to work, get an allergy shot, clean the litter box, pet the cats, etc.

Also, I try to remain mostly positive here. If nothing else, it helps me have a more positive outlook on things. Not always my first nature even without the time change. Here's a few examples of how I work at reframing things.

First thought: Ward is annoying me with the way he eats his cereal.
Second thought: Ward and I were lucky that we got to eat breakfast together this morning.

First thought: I am tired of the pain from my trigeminal neuralgia flare up.
Second thought: I'm lucky that medicine helps with it and I have to be patient while I build up doses to a therapeutic level.

First thought: I'm annoyed that the cats have been peeing outside of the litter box recently.
Second thought: We're lucky to have our elderly cats still with us and as comes with age, they don't always use the litter box.

First thought: I am worried about some stumbling blocks in my kid's life. What if it never works out?
Second thought: I'm glad that my kids are taking action to change some things in their life for the better.

First thought: I am worried about my friend and the rapidly growing growth she has.
Second thought: Don't borrow trouble until she has been to the doctor and gotten more information.

First thought: Another cold, windy day. When is spring going to be here?
Second thought: The snow didn't amount to much last night and we're going to have a sunny day.

First thought: It's time to go to work and I'm not done with this post.
Second thought: Posting something is a good start and it doesn't have to be perfect. How lucky I am to have a job with good benefits.

So there it is. Have a good day even if you don't feel like it. That's what I'm going to try to do.




18 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your trigeminal neuralgia! Hope you find a good solution soon.

    Well, I think it's good to know that I'm not the only one whose first thought tends to be negative. Seems we have similar thoughts--I was irritated by my husband on Sunday ... we got a surprise lake-effect mini-snowstorm last night and this morning .... and I have to do the same thing--remind myself that I really do have a gem of a husband and remember to be thankful for our new vehicle with all-wheel drive. And while the PT made my shoulder sore yesterday, it IS getting better. I'm grateful for her skills. Maybe someday a positive reaction to what life brings me will be my first inclination, not my second. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that a positive reaction is ever going to be my first one, but I get there a lot faster than I used to. Used to be, a lot of time, I never got there until someone pointed out the other side.

      The TGN is not fun, but I am lucky that I respond to meds for relief. However, I don't like the side effects of the anti-seizure drug that is used. However, I tell myself how lucky I am that I'm not taking the medicine for seizures, a much more serious malady.

      Delete
  2. I am pretty positive, but I honestly have to work at it because it is not my nature. By nature I am more of a realist and can honestly accept the old "It is what it is " train of thought, but I actively seek the upside of whatever "is". At some point in time I realized I had a choice and took it. (And yeah, it took a long time for me to understand I had a choice to take and that does not mean I take it every single time. i.e. last week TheHub was breathing loudly and it irritated me )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "breathing loudly" comment made me laugh out loud. I suppose the upside to that is ... he was breathing???? ;P

      Delete
    2. I certain amount of "it is what it is" is good too. Sometimes we just have to accept somethings that we can't change.

      Was your husband breathing in a snoring kind of way? I find that irrataiing sometimes.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry about your neuralgia. And I am very glad for you that there is medication. I hope that it can take effect very soon.
    My life seems to be a series of finding the silver linings. We are still on this side of the grass, as my father used to say. And sometimes, that is the only good thing I can find about a situation.
    I hope that your day at work turned into a very pleasant one, live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day at work. While I have reasonable bosses, they were both out at meetings today which always makes the work day a little more relaxed.

      Delete
  4. That's such good way to deal with negative thoughts. I'm going to start doing it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the positive side is never a bad thing. That is unless you say to much of it out loud. That can irritate others around you who are not in the mood to be positive. I have been guilty of that.

      Delete
  5. I really ought to do this too. I do it once in a while but not often enough. I get frustrated by a lot of things! But I also think that in a lot of ways it can be therapeutic to acknowledge frustrations and disappointments and then move on. I laughed at your being annoyed at the way your husband eats his cereal, lol. Greg never uses a knife and uses his fingers to push food onto his fork instead, which HORRIFIES me. I just picture him doing this during business meals and I'm mortified even though I'm not even there. I nag and nag and nag and maybe one day he will start using a knife, darn it. He won't eat bread so I can't offer that instead. I succeeded in having him stop slurping his soup so at least there's that.

    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Yes, wait to hear what the test results say before imagining the worst. I know, easy for me to say.

    I hope you had a bright and enjoyable day at work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think acknowledging frustrations is important, but moving past them is the part that most of us need to practice. My husband is a bread eater, so he has another pusher besides his fingers. Do you think your husband uses his fingers as a joke for you? My husband does that every once in while. That's what his dad did with his mom in a playful way and she always responded in a playful "irritated" way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wish it were a joke but it's really not. I just don't think his mom pushed table manners very much.

      Delete
    2. Well, he has a lot of other good qualities.

      Delete
    3. LOL yes he does have plenty of them! Sorry for spreading my negativity on your blog :)

      Delete
  7. I love the way you turn bad thoughts to good ones. This is a great way to do things, going to start doing that more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. It takes a lot of practice. At least for me anyway.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed this first thought/second thought post! I like how you try to look on the positive side of things. Sometimes, it can be a bit of a struggle, I know, but, I, too, try to look for the positives. Even on a rather bad day, when things are not going the way I'd like them to, I remind myself, if nothing else, at least I am still alive!

    I am sorry you have pain from the flare-ups, Live and Learn, but I am very glad that you have medications that can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you look for the things you are grateful for each day is another good way to keep things positive.

      Delete

What do you think?