Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Lagniappe

I like to say the word lagniappe. (Say lagniappe. I pronounce it the second way where the emphasis is on the second syllable). I first learned the word when I moved to New Orleans where it is used frequently. It means a little something extra like the extra doughnut in a baker's dozen. Recently I've received some lagniappe that I describe below. Mind you, I am using the definition of the word loosely in a couple of examples because, remember, I like to say lagniappe.

First, there was the letter from Costco stating that they got a better deal on the Ninja Bullet we bought in December so here was a $20 store credit. Great! The only problem was that we didn't buy a Ninja Bullet. After checking with the store that someone else wasn't using our account and buying blenders, they said just spend it. So we did. An extra $20. Now that's good lagniappe.

And speaking again of New Orleans, I got a fun surprise recently. My friends from there sent me a Christmas ornament. You may remember from my parade of ornaments that I needed to get one from New Orleans so we would have one from every place we have lived. And now we do. That was very thoughtful, very appreciated lagniappe.

The third extra things I acquired were three Corelle bowls. Aunt Martha was giving them away because she had gotten new ones. Even though the old ones had silverware stains from years of use, I took them. Now there's nothing wrong with eating from a stained bowl, but I decided to try to clean them. After a good scrubbing with soap and water, soaking with bleach cleaner, and trying baking soda's magic, I found that Bar Keeper's Friend did the trick. Now we have three shiny white bowls that already are getting frequent use. Thanks, Aunt Martha for the lagniappe. Glad you found a good sale on Corelle Ware because we are enjoying your hand-me-downs.

I bet if I paid attention, I would see more lagniappe around me. And then I could tell everyone about it. Because, you know, I like to say the word lagniappe. Have you been given any lagniappe recently?

But Wait There's More:

Here's what Mark Twain had to say about the word lagniappe in Life on the Mississippi.

"We picked up one excellent word--a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get; a nice limber, expressive, handy word--'lagniappe.' They pronounce it lanny-yap. It is Spanish--so they said. We discovered it at the head of a column of odds and ends in the Picayune, the first day; heard twenty people use it the second; inquired what it meant the third; adopted it and got facility in swinging it the fourth. It has a restricted meaning, but I think the people spread it out a little when they choose. It is the equivalent of the thirteenth roll in a 'baker's dozen.' It is something thrown in, gratis, for good measure. The custom originated in the Spanish quarter of the city. ... If the waiter in the restaurant stumbles and spills a gill of coffee down the back of your neck, he says 'For lagniappe, sah,' and gets you another cup without extra charge."
Life on the Mississippi
Source:  Mark Twain Quotes



20 comments:

  1. I fall in the lanYAP camp, and I find a little extra all around me all the time, but for the past couple of years I have looked very hard for the upside and when you are looking up rather than down you do find a lot of "extras". If Costco has an extra 20 buck card around I would like to look up and see one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Costco thing was out of the blue, for sure, and much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I always thought it was a French word originally, so I learned something! I read the Wiki article about it and they have now traced it to the Quechua language. I've never used the word myself.

    Congrats on the free $20 from Costco! Years ago the IRS sent me $2,000 above what our tax return should have been. Color me confused. It took me a few hours on the phone with them to finally get someone in the proper department that went through my tax return line by line with me and recognized that THEY had made a mistake. To this day Greg is mad at me that I didn't keep my mouth shut but if there's something I've learned from living here is that you don't mess with the IRS :) My lagniappe today is that I realized that my dentist office has a very nice free coffee set-up for the patients right there at the entrance. I usually don't miss freebies so I'm blaming all my anxiety about going to the dentist for my blindness, lol. I have to go back tomorrow for my own appointment and I'll be reaping my free coffee lagniappe for sure :) They're so nice and I'm so relaxed when I go now that I warned them I might just show up every morning just to get the free coffee, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy for you that you don't have a problem going to the dentist now. Enjoy your coffee. I guess at your dentist they don't mind working on patients with coffee breath. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, me too, let me tell you! My dental hygienist and I were discussing our respective coffee and tea addiction last week. I was so relieved that she understood because I had prepared myself to tell her that I would live without teeth before I gave up coffee if she even raised the issue, lol. I also wonder if patients sip on coffee while they wait? They always see me right away so I'll just take mine to go.

      Delete
  3. You have enlarged my vocabulary. I suspect it's a word that is used more in the southern states. Not sure if I have any true examples of lagniappe--I'm not sure if the freebie coffee/tea/bagels/muffins yesterday when I got my oil changed on my car counts, but the establishment does have a wonderful waiting area. Great excuse to read a mindless book while snacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my experience, it is definitely more of a southern word, especially New Orleans and Louisiana.

      They have certainly upgraded the car service waiting areas over the years. It is a good place to snack and read unless there are some interesting people to watch who are waiting, too.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's an interesting word - and one I certainly wouldn't have thought had Spanish origins...especially given the spelling. Anyhow, my task for the day is to figure out what on earth bartender's friend and ninja bullets are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bar Keeper's Friend is a powdered cleanser, similar to Comet, only Comet is green and BKF is white and does a better job of bleaching out stains. And that reminds me of a song from my junior high years which is probably best not shared, but includes the lyrics of "Comet ... it makes your teeth turn green ...". It seemed funny at the time but now that I am reading about kids eating laundry pods, I'm concerned that some kid might actually take the song seriously. Sigh.

      I've heard of Ninja Bullets but I tend to avoid kitchen gadget purchases so I can't help you on that.

      I would have guessed French origins to the word--I also was surprised at that.

      Delete
    2. "Comet makes you vomit, so take some Comet and vomit today." I remember that song.

      If it weren't so easy to film yourself doing something stupid like eating Tide pods, I don't there would be nearly as much of it going on. There, my social commentary for the day.

      Delete
    3. Haha, love it that you remember the song, too!

      When I told my kids about other kids eating Tide pods, they had a quizzical look on their faces and said "why in the world would you ever want to do that?" so I was relieved to know that my children are capable of thinking about the possible results of different behaviors.

      Delete
    4. I think the key thing is that your kids have other meaningful things to do in their life, so the thought of doing something like eating detergent doesn't occur to them. I think you and your husband are doing something right.

      Delete
  5. That is some awesome lagniappe you received there. I remember I received a set of corelle. Plates. bowls and saucers a long time ago. At the time the word was that they don't break if dropped. They were dropped numerous times by daughter and I. We broke one bowl and a plate. Good job on the cleaning. Awesome quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have Corelle Ware that my husband got in college. We've broken a few pieces, but it is mostly intact. It doesn't break easily, but when it does, it shatters into lots of little pieces.

      Delete
  6. June - That NOLA sewers cover ornament is great! "Just like in the Quarter! Yeah, you rite, dahlin'" (I can hear Janie/Judy saying that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the sewer covers in years, so it was fun to see one again. I also haven't thought about Judy or Janie either. Wonder what they're up to?

      Delete
  7. I learned a new word today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new word on me which I so appreciate because I love learning new stuff. Of course, I'll forget this word in a matter of minutes unless I write it down. Now, that sounds like a great idea...you know the writing down thingy! Have a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing down things certainly helps me remember things--especially words.

      Delete

What do you think?