Sunday, December 17, 2017

Ornament Time 3

For the next few posts, I will be featuring ornaments from my Christmas tree.  This is one way I can savor these decorations that only come out once a year. Each post will feature a group of ornaments related by a common theme. 

The Ornament Parade: Book Club

I have belonged to the same book club for 12 years now. Besides reading interesting books and  having lively discussions, each December we go out to dinner and a show. During our evening out, the leader has a small gift for us and several of these gifts have been ornaments. Sometimes they are book themed and sometimes they are not, but they're always pretty.

Below are pictures of them.  Just for fun, do you know what book is being quoted on the open book ornament?























But Wait, There's More!

Here's a quick review of some recent books we've read in my book club recently:

We Never Asked for Wings by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

This is a fiction book about a mother who suddenly has to care for her 15 and 6 year old children after her parents move. The club liked the book and thought it was well written although a few didn't like the behavior of some of the characters.

A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline

This is historical fiction about Christina Olson, who was the subject of several Andrew Wyeth's paintings. The club found it an interesting read though depressing at times. It provided a good discussion as the book was put in context of the rest of the Wyeth family.

Prisoners of Geography-Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall

Marshall explores 10 crucial regions of the world explains how geography affects the actions of the countries in them. I'm not sure that anyone had finished this book by the time we discussed it. Many found it tedious reading unless you were very familiar with the region being discussed. For example, I found the US discussion interesting but the China chapter less so. Many loved the concept of this book, but didn't find its format friendly for them.

Until next time...



16 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed your ornaments blog series. I haven't left comments because I am covered up in stuff to do, even though I have been reading regularly.
    Thanks for the tips on the books.I have needed something else for my sister and she loves the (Christina) Wyeth paintings. I think she will really enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally found the Wyeth book very interesting and liked it, although Christina was very stubborn and her own worst enemy at times. I hope your sister likes it.

      Delete
  2. You really have an interesting collection of ornaments! I've enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Christmas tree ornaments interesting, in general. You can hang anything on a Christmas tree which gives endless possibilities. I can see how people end up decorating multiple trees at Christmas just to display lots of interesting ornaments.

      Delete
  3. OK, I'm pretty sure it's a Jane Austen book, although I confess (don't hate me!) that I don't really like her novels. My best friend gave me a book ornament (it's a real book) of A Child's Christmas in Wales (we traveled the UK about 20 years ago). My kids laughed this year about how every year they try to read it and every year they find it boring. Again, I enjoyed all your featured ornaments, and because it seems to have become my (annoying?) tradition to tell you my favorites, I loooove the teapot ornament (I'm a huge tea drinker and have many tea motifs in my house as well as tree ornaments) but the first one with the book and the mug and glasses is also wonderful, since for me it represents some of my happiest moments.

    I've never tried a book club--maybe when the kids are grown and out of the house? Thanks for your book suggestions--sometimes it's hard to find books I enjoy. I just finished an oddly interesting book called Sourdough by Robin Clary. It's about a young woman working as a programmer, programming robotic arms, who is given a sourdough starter. She learns to bake bread and her life changes.

    I think I'm feeling chatty. :) The kids had an inclement weather day from school and we went to see Wonder at the movie theater, so my brain is in relaxation mode. (I'm not a huge movie buff, but Wonder was a fantastic movie that would appeal to most ages).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding, ding, ding! You win the prize. The book is the beginning of Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility".

      There are a lot of book clubs around with many different styles that fit some better than others. You might check out your local library for one. That would be a good place to start.

      Have you are your kids read any of the Wonder books?

      Delete
    2. My daughter read it and really enjoyed it, but my son and I haven't read it yet. Usually I insist on reading the book before we see a movie, but this time I didn't.

      My son just finished The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe. He really enjoyed it so I think I'll tackle that one since we still have a couple weeks left on our library check-out time with it. I will try to read Wonder this winter.

      If I had really won the prize, I would have known the title of the book. I've never been able to finish reading any Jane Austen books.

      Delete
    3. There are more books out there than any one person can possibly read. So I say, read what you like whether that's Jane Austen or Mad Magazine.

      Delete
  4. I cheated and googled it and found out that it was "Sense and Sensibility". I've never read any Jane Austen book or seen any of the movies. I do love the book-themed ornaments though. That is a cool theme to have!

    Greg would probably very much enjoy the book about the maps, I'll have to mention it to him; I checked out library system and it doesn't carry it though and they still haven't resumed ILLs since the Depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is reading the geography book now. He has a much better grasp of world geography than I have. Thus, he is enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. Nice post.I enjoyed your book comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always like to know what other people are reading and what they think, so every once in a while I post about what I've read.

      Delete
  6. I love the little teapot ornament. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went through your blog posts with ornaments. I loved them all m Our ornaments are mostly what my child made through her school years with some Glitter balls I had bought a few years ago. Every year I think it is my last year for the ones my child made and save them in a keepsake box..but I can never bring myself to do it.

    I have put "We Never Asked For Wings" on my To Read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll hang kids' ornaments until they fall apart. In the meantime, I've taken some pictures for when that happens.

      Delete

What do you think?