Tuesday, November 28, 2017

What was she thinking?


I can easily see the other side of an issue and can freely give something the benefit of the doubt while I try to understand it--at times annoyingly so. Just ask my family and friends. But recently, I was unable to be my measured self when I saw a new board book, Feminist Baby by Loryn Brantz. I had an immediate reaction to this book. No middle ground here. Let me see if I can explain why.

(But first if you want, you can go read the book for yourself and see what you think before I talk about it. I copied the it at the end for your convenience. 

What I think bothered me the most about Feminist Baby was the fact that this was a board book (geared and marketed for babies) that was talking about feminism. Not because feminism is a bad topic, but because it's not developmentally appropriate. A point I think Theo made well when he said that babies don't yet have a sense of self or a sense of gender, so targeting a book to them about feminism was misplaced.

But there are other reasons, too. The actual text has Feminist Baby doing things that all babies do--throwing things, throwing up, refusing to wear pants, etc. but in a I-don't-care-what-you-think-way. Some of my friends described feminist baby as a brat. Others said that book seemed to condone behaviors that most parents are trying to train their kids not to do. And yet others (females) thought it was putting males in a bad light. They thought Feminist Baby's bad behavior was supposed to be imitating what males do to show that she could do what ever she wanted.

Trying to get a different perspective on things, I asked my sons, Wally and Theo, what they thought about the book. To be fair, I had only discussed it with other middle aged women so far making my own echo chamber. Therefore, I was curious what my Millennial sons, who are out in the real working world, would think. They both thought it was crazy to have a book for babies about a feminist baby. They understood that the author was trying to put feminism in a good light, but didn't think it was well done in either text or pictures. Wally thought the book would have been more effective if it had read Baby does... instead of Feminist Baby does... because feminism to him means equal opportunities for all. Theo said that it might have made a better point if Feminist Baby had done things in a positive way and not in a rebellious way.

However, not everyone disliked the book. When I read reviews on Amazon and Good Reads, overall, the reviews were positive. Many found the book fun and thought that it was a good way to introduce the topic.  Once again, I still thought, "But not to babies."

I also wondered what was the rest of the story. What was the author thinking when she wrote this book? I found an interview with her that shed some light on those questions. Brantz's intent was to establish the word feminism in a positive light from a very young age. And she wanted the book to be a jumping off point to discuss feminism with young girls. Her explanations didn't make me feel any different. While well intended, I still felt Brantz was clueless about childhood development and the inappropriateness of this topic for babies and young children.

Loryn Brantz, the author, has subsequently developed a Feminist Baby comic targeted for adults. These cartoons deal with feminism and other current issues. I have no problem with them. I may agree or disagree with some of her points, but that's okay. I am the appropriate audience for them.

So what do you think?
_____________________________________________________________________________


Feminist Baby by Loryn Brantz, Disney-Hyperion, 2017















19 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I can put words to my thoughts. As far as true feminism goes, the only pages of the book that address it are the ones discussing the pink/blue color trends for gender and toy preferences. The rest of it, as you said, applies to any and every baby. It seems to me that this is a book meant to appeal to Feminist Mom (my cynical side would say that it's a marketing tool to get feminists to purchase it). Both of my babies did all of the things mentioned in the book, and I have one of each gender. Three things about this book are troubling to me--first, I agree that it is not developmentally appropriate. Secondly,it comes across to me as propaganda, not a well-written, thought-provoking book (which is fairly difficult to achieve in a baby's board book--which puts us back at point one). Thirdly, maybe I am alone in this, but I am weary of all the divisiveness in our society. The presentation of this book feels to me like just one more topic about which to argue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The topic of feminism has morphed into an extreme discussion like many other issues of the day. My son described it well when he said that feminism started as a movement to give women equal rights and now in its 3rd or 4th generation, it has morphed to be synonymous with man haters. Some of the things that are said in the name of feminism today are just crazy and distract from the real issues and the real causes. Like many other issues, the extremes are getting the attention and ruining things for others. I don't think this misplaced book is helping anything. She should stick to her adult comics (some of which are funny) and before she writes another children's book, consult with some experts about child development if she really wants to reach a young audience.

      Delete
    2. I fully agree. Specific goals of equal pay for equal work, females having access to the same educational and career opportunities, and so on, I fully support (and am aware that I am the beneficiary of the hard work of so many women who have fought the fight). I don't care for an in-your-face approach. That seems to be the current wave we are riding, though.

      Delete
    3. I think y'all have pretty much summed up my thoughts. The only thing I would add is that I'm not terribly fond of the imagery. I don't tend to think of babies being shaped like kidney beans.

      Delete
    4. Most everyone I've talked to did not like the imaginary either. I didn't bring that up because there was so much else I was trying summarize.

      Delete
  2. LOL. If you take out the word feminism, you have a spoiled brat. Well, not all pages. BUT of course we can use blue or pink, but what is the deal with pants? She doesn't want to wear them? How is that feminism? Thanks for sharing. I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the deal is on several of the pages. I don't really think the author put much thought into the text other than she wanted to use the word feminist.

      Delete
  3. After reading here, I went to Amazon where it was no surprise that most of those who bought the book were unimpressed and several said not to waste money on this book. As a feminist woman with an understanding of both child development and feminism, I share some of your concerns about the behaviors and messages from this book. It isn't something I would buy if I wanted the takeaway to be about feminism rather than brattiness. If the author wanted to give babies and very young children positive messages, she could have shown both parents, whether same sex or not, caring for baby, managing home, going off to work, managing money and doing other tasks. In the case of a single dad or mom, the same tasks would apply and become more important because a single parent has to juggle so much. Not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should write your own book. Sounds like you have some good ideas.

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with you and the others commenting. I don't see the point of a book on feminism directed to babies or very young children. I don't see much here that says anything about feminism as I define it either. Wouldn't have it in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something I'll be purchasing soon either.

      Delete
  5. I read it and the interview and see no point to the book other than the appeal this might have to some people who believe without the word feminist in the title you are gender stereotyping girl babies.
    As a typing example Son1 and DIL decided they would not dress their daughter in pink so there would never be a gender bias based on her clothing... Until she started taking pink clothes from other kids bags at day care, bringing them home and declaring they were hers. To thwart her life as a serial thief they broke down and bought her some traditional " girl" clothes. First came pink outfits and now she only loves to wear princess dresses ( worn with plastic " glass" slippers) Amazingly her spirit of adventure and intelligence has not been altered with choice of clothing. I fall in line with your sons. It is about equality and opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story about your granddaughter. It brought a smile to me this morning. What a resourceful person she is.

      While I'm sure society has some influence on boys and girls, that's not all that's involved. There are differences biologically that can affect behavior. To me, feminism is not about making everyone the same, it's about giving everyone an equal opportunity to be and do what they aspire to.

      Delete
    2. Funny story, Anne! One of my children's teachers told me a similar one--she knew parents who were determined not to let their child eat sugar when she was young. They ended up at a birthday party--someone dropped cake and the frosting was slathered all done the chair legs. Their little girl kept licking and licking the chair legs ... I think it's human nature to want what you perceive you are denied.

      Delete
    3. Another great story. Kids can teach us a lot. One of them is totally denying yourself something usually doesn't work.

      Delete
  6. That's an interesting book! I guess the author's intention is to say that baby girls don't have to be all "sugar and spice and everything nice", that it is OK not to comply with how society expects a girl baby should be dressed, what toys she should play with, etc., and to have opinions of her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your explanation of the book makes more sense than anything else I could think of. Thanks for a little different insight on things.

      Delete
  7. I think the title made me think not for a baby. They don't even know what that means. I agree with Sharon's comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all of the interviews the author gave, she clearly said it was for babies 0-2 years. The interesting thing was that she worked on Sesame Street a couple of years designing sets. I guess she didn't pay much attention to the content.

      Delete

What do you think?