Sunday, December 18, 2016

Thankful Sunday, December 18, 2016


Look carefully and you'll see two cedar waxwings among
the icy branches, berries, and fog.

I am thankful for a morning at home.

Most days, I'm up early and dashing off to work. Then it's off to the stores and back to the old house to work on things. Consequently, I'm not spending as much time in my new home as I would like. Well yesterday morning, things were covered with snow and ice and it wasn't safe to go out, so I stayed put.  I did a little tidying and made a pot of turkey soup and biscuits. And a great thing happened while I was working at the kitchen sink. Out the window, I saw a flock of cedar waxwings eating fruit off a tree in the front yard. They were joined by several starlings. It was a sight to behold. And for the quiet morning at home that allowed me to see it, I am thankful.

Starlings were enjoying the icy berries also.

12 comments:

  1. Pretty pictures! Cedar Waxwings only migrate through here and I have watched hoards of them strip bushes clean of berries in about an hour. They are beautiful birds and I am glad I have a couple of bushes that help fuel them on their journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never really seen a flock of cedar wax wings. We have some trees around where I work that they like, but every time I hear that they're out there, they're gone by the time I can get to a window. There are still a lot of fruit on the tree so I hope they come back.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes being forced to stay home due to bad weather is a good thing! Glad you had a peaceful morning and had the bonus of seeing your cedar waxwings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a good thing. It made my new house feel like a home as I a puttered around doing things I like including watching the world outside my window. The kitchen window in the new house looks out on the street, so I was lamenting how my good view was gone while I was working in the kitchen and didn't even bother to pull back the curtains some days. Well, I was wrong. I just have to be patient and take time to discover my new world. I'm sure there are lots of good things waiting for me.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to spot some cedar waxwings. Love your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you were able to spend a quiet morning in your new home, doing things you enjoy doing, and being able to watch the birds outside your window. I am sure they were happy to find your tree with all the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cedar waxwings are so lovely. I have a couple feeders on my patio that attracts chickadees, juncos, cardinals etc. My two cats spend hours each day watching them - I call it CAT TV :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your cats love their view. We had good cat TV at the old house. We're still working on it here. Unfortunately, our cats didn't get a chance to see the waxwings.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They really are beautiful birds. I wish I had been able to get a better picture.

      Delete

What do you think?