Thursday, February 11, 2016

Throwback Thursdays

So far, I've done 1068 posts on this blog. That number surprised me when I saw it. Who knew I had that much to say (Or sometimes, not that much to say, but said it anyway.) I've decided to join Facebook and other social media in a Throwback Thursday. On Thursdays, I'm going to post a previous post based on however my mood strikes me for the day. And here it goes.

_______________________________________________________________________________

From April 18, 2014

I celebrated National Poetry Month that April with a poem most days. Here is a more serious one from Theo's teenage years.

Ponderings of Theodore--the teenage years.
The teenage years are often a difficult time as we transition from childhood to adulthood. During this time, we try to figure out who we are and who we want to become. We explore, we retreat. We're popular, we're invisible. We're happy, we're sad. In other words, we're in limbo, not quite sure where to land. During some of Theo's teenage angst years, he wrote about this. One of those times was in today's poem.

                                                                 Limbo
                                                            by Theodore

                                          How can you be falling if you never hit the ground?
                                          How can you be flying if you never touch the sky?
                                          How can you love yourself if you never are good?
                                          How can you hate yourself if you never are evil?

                                          When people stare in awe and wonder
                                          And flee before your touch
                                          Neither heaven nor hell will take you
                                          And you want nothing so much

                                          As a solid place to stand
                                          And someone to take your hand.

10 comments:

  1. He has a gift for imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send your comment his way. I'm not sure if he remembers that he wrote this poem or not. But you know we mothers, we hang onto things sometimes. This one was published in a journal at school, so I still have a copy.

      Delete
  2. Teenage years are very difficult, for cats and people, full of turmoil as they attempt to make the transition to become adults. Full of righteousness and doubt, bravado and tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've just written another line to the poem. I think we can all relate to the turmoil of the teenage years.

      Delete
  3. Awww... what a sweet poem. Honestly, I'm sooo glad that I never have to go back and re-live my teenage years. I'm just thankful to have survived them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do I not want to relive my teenage years, I especially don't want to live my kids teenage years. Watching your kids go through difficulties is very hard.

      Delete
  4. The last 3 lines resonate with me. When I'm tackling something new and unfamiliar, I just want someone to take my hand and lead me through it. Sometimes, I'm lucky and some such kind person steps up to the challenge. Sometimes, I'm left to struggle it out on my own.

    And I would hate to have to live through the teenage years again. And I wouldn't want to redo my own kids' teenage years. I want to keep moving forward. Life gets better with every passing year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While their lives are certainly not trouble free, I don't want to go backwards with my kids. Sometimes, I look at them and say, "Thanks for growing up."

      And there are certainly some new circumstances that I want someone with me. Other times, I want to figure things out by myself. I think that's because I don't want to show vulnerability. But one way or another, new things are often a struggle for me. A hand near by to take when you want it is something I think we all want.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry,Lois. I didn't mean to delete your comment. I'm using some else's tablet and I don't know what I'm doing. Someday soon I'm going to enter the world of smart devices, but I'm not there yet. Anyway, thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete

What do you think?