Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Second Look--June 4, 2014

Here are some things I saw this week during a

The bearded iris are almost done blooming, but the Siberian iris are still showing their beautiful purple color.


The tulip poplar tree is blooming.



Ward and I had an interesting show one morning as we watched a neighborhood cat stalk a groundhog.



The very fragrant wild roses are blooming. 


The golden garlic is blooming. Every year, I never remember we have these plants until they bloom. So they're always a nice surprise.



The chickadee is starting to lay eggs in the new nest that was built on top of another chickadee nest.


The bluebird box was starting to get crowded with the growing babies. Three days after this, the box was empty. Now we're not the only ones with an empty nest. :)



After having a big serving of suet, the squirrel cleaned up seeds under the bird feeder.


12 comments:

  1. I love the cat stalking the groundhog! My husband had a bad experience with a groundhog eating a lot of his garden 2 summers ago, so he'd be rooting for the cat! :)

    I think our baby robins are getting ready to fly. It's been fun to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cat had the groundhog on the run, However, I don't know if she was big enough to really capture it. Groundhogs are famous for ruining a lot of gardens. I hope yours doesn't come back this summer.

      Delete
    2. That particular groundhog ... well, let's just say he is resting in peace. But he could have relatives ...

      Delete
    3. They say that groundhogs are like roaches --there are always several more that you don't see for every one that you see.

      Delete
  2. Spring looks beautiful there! Winter now seems so far behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go so far as to say it's looking summery there. We have a similar wild rose that is just about to bloom - l do love wild rose. The Golden Garlic - is that a wild flower? Looks similar to our white wild garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a wild flower per se, but will naturalize. It's in the onion/garlic/leek family so I imagine that it is similar to your white wild garlic.

      Delete
    2. Can you eat the leaves like our wild garlic?

      Delete
    3. I've never eaten any parts of the plant, but I think mostly people eat its bulbs like a regular garlic plant.

      Delete
  4. Those pictures are beautiful! I have some iris plants at my house and I love them, but my only complaint is that they do not stay in bloom nearly long enough for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do come and go quickly, but at least they are one of the few things that deer don't eat--at least not yet.

      Delete

What do you think?