Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Second Look--March 26, 2014

Where I live, there are a few robins that hang around all winter. However, I still get excited when I see a flock of them for the first time in the spring. When I was a kid, spring wasn't officially here until the first robin arrived. Well, it's here! The robins are out in full force. While watching them this week, I saw a robin tugging a worm out of the ground. Now that's a picture I've seen everywhere--in cartoons, greeting cards, books, and now I've seen it for myself after all of these years. It's was an exciting moment. (Sometimes, it's the little things. :) ) Also, there are a few more crocuses blooming and guess what? We had more snow.

Here's what I saw this week during my Second Look.

This was one of many robins that were visiting. It was a windy day, so notice the ruffled feathers.


A few more crocuses have been popping up here and there.


This crocus came up in the middle of the grass where a squirrel had planted it.

 

One foggy morning, I saw these deer grooming each other. Usually, I just see them eating.



This tufted titmouse has its tuft down.


We got a few more inches of snow yesterday.


4 comments:

  1. My son was the first to notice the return of the robins. We are starting to see patches of open (non-snow covered) ground so hopefully they can start digging in for worms! Today I took the winter wreath off my door and put up the spring/summer one--my husband has been pestering me to do so as the house finches have returned and they love to nest on my wreath. They must know I changed it out--as soon as I did, up they went onto the wreath! Yes, it makes a poopy mess but we get 2-3 batches of eggs/babies every year which is fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a lot of fun to watch the eggs and babies so closely. We have several bird nests around here, but most of them are hidden or out of reach. We do have a couple of boxes that get nests, but it's hard to get a good view in them. I hope you get to see more and more ground.

      Delete
  2. Believe it or not, I think you should move here. We've been getting way less snow than you this year. Strange, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This certainly isn't normal for the MidAtlantic. I guess more of the storms have been coming from the south this year and going out to the ocean before they do much damage to the north. Although, I think everyone in the east has had a hard winter.

      Delete

What do you think?