Friday, December 20, 2013

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--Dec. 20, 2013


It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions.

This Week's Food Waste

  
This week we had to get rid of a hot dog and some basmati rice. Months ago, Wally bought a big pack of hot dogs on sale. They weren't very good, at least that's what I thought, but Ward and Wally have been slowly eating them. A couple of weeks ago, Ward thawed the last two but not never got around to eating this last one. Even for a hot dog with all of it's chemicals, I don't think this is safe to eat any more. Into the trash it went. 

As for the rice, it got lost in the pantry and was starting to turn rancid. Next time I'll try to pay more attention to what's in there and store my brown basmati rice in the fridge like the bag recommends.


 This Week's True Food Confessions




Wow, what an improvement this week. We actually ate mostly at home and took pictures of some of it. Chicken was the main feature showing up as roasted chicken breast, chicken tenders, and chicken pot pie. Sauerkraut with sausage and apples and tortellini also graced the table. Throw in some grapefruit and oranges freshly delivered from Flordia for breakfast and snacks and we ate pretty well. And, oh, we had our standard of pretending to eat M&M's in a healthful way--I made some trail mix.


9 comments:

  1. I hate it when you buy a big packet of something that turns out not to be good. Good on them for managing to eat up the rest of the hot dogs :)

    I also like to pretend chocolate is healthy by adding it to trail mix :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I would have gotten rid of them sooner because they're not so good for you. But it was good that they weren't wasted except this last one.

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to try brown basmati but had no idea it should be refrigerated. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should have been used sooner, but I thought about it as regular rice with essentially a forever shelf life. When I got it out yesterday to cook with, I noticed the "best if stored in the refrigerator" message. I was disappointed because I had big plans for that rice.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea that uncooked basmati rice could go rancid. Was it the taste that tipped you off? That's good to know, though.
    The trail mix looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on minimal food waste & eating at home more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, Thanks. Glad to see you back at your blog.

      Delete
  5. Add my name to the list of folks who didn't know rice could go rancid. I have tossed a fair amount of grains this year though... but in my "defense" most were, ahem, nearly 10 years old, so perhaps that isn't all that unreasonable!

    I will be more reasonable about my pantry in the future.
    I will be more reasonable about my pantry in the future.
    I will be more reasonable about my pantry in the future.
    I will be more reasonable about my pantry in the future.

    How many times do you think I need to write that before it sinks in?

    My goal is to not buy any grains this year and just use up what I've got - the issue there will be using up everything that I've got because I'm actually trying to eat more veggies and fewer grains these days.

    Anyhow, your homemade meals look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pantry definitely needs some attention right now because it's a mess from our remodel. I'd like to blame the rice problem on that but the best by date was two years ago. No, I just wasn't paying attention. Good luck with your pantry.

      Delete

What do you think?