Thursday, December 12, 2013

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions. (Thanks to Jo from Simply Being Mum for sponsoring FWF this week.)

This Week's Food Waste and True Food Confessions

One of the few meals that originated at home this week.
As you may have noticed lately, we haven't been very regular in achieving our goals of no food waste and meal planning and eating at home. The fall off the wagon started with our remodel beginning at the end of October and transitioned seamlessly into the Christmas season. We still have furniture piled on top of each other waiting to be returned to its normal places, but the kitchen is functioning. We're just not functioning very well in it. That's part of the reason, we've been doing okay in the food waste area--we're not doing much food cooking or buying here to waste. I will strive to do better in this area, but not worry about it too much if improvement is slow to come. "Tis the season to be jolly..."

And oh, for the nuts and bolts of this week. We had no waste and had a lot of leftovers including a couple of days from this meal of sloppy joes.




9 comments:

  1. I'm smiling about your comment that you aren't functioning very well in your kitchen--I can relate! It was a shock to actually have the refrigerator in the kitchen instead of the living room and I keep going to the living room to get milk. :) Glad you're on the downside of your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a few trips to the living room also after we moved the fridge back into the kitchen, however I'm starting to get the hang of where things are now. Occasionally, I still go to the wrong cabinet, but mostly do okay. But, I cannot find the candy thermometer. I remember putting it somewhere, I just don't know where that is.

      Delete
    2. It took me 10 minutes to find my hand mixer last week. One of those "I remember putting this somewhere, now where was it?" moments.

      Delete
    3. Have you picked up the work again in your kitchen? Didn't have some more things to do like painting?

      Delete
    4. I'm hoping when I come home from work tomorrow that my husband has the painting done. :) We need to have the glass inserts for our cabinets installed, the pendant light installed, and one of the cabinet doors had a ding in it so the replacement also needs to be installed--but our contractor is now busy with other projects so I'm not sure when that will be done.

      Delete
    5. Even though it seemed to take forever, our contractor was really good about staying with our job until the end. The only thing that slowed things down was waiting for the floors to cure. Maybe your Christmas present will be a finished job.

      Delete
  2. So, our kitchen was over-hauled 4 years ago, and I still can't find where I put some things! I'm hoping to get to a serious organizing this winter. When I went to put things back when our kitchen was done, I didn't think things through. We have several drawers that resemble junk drawers. I must waste about an hour every week searching for stuff.

    We have a bunch of leftovers in the fridge that desperately need eating up. It seems that this time of year, "better" food appears constantly, pushing the usual and healthy stuff to the back of the fridge.

    Good job on no waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You spend enough time in the kitchen it must be really frustrating to be looking for things, so organizing sounds like a good project for the new year. Good luck in also finding the foods that are pushed to the back of the fridge.

      Delete
    2. Both daughters were at home today, so we had a discussion about using up all the leftovers in the fridge. We had a hodge-podge of leftovers for lunch, then they used the remaining leftovers in soup for tonight's dinner. I think we're ahead of the game -- for the moment.

      Delete

What do you think?