Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Second Look--December 11, 2013

For a Second Look this week, I watched out my window one day while it snowed--my favorite way to do Second Looks on cold, wet days. :)

Here's what I saw this week during my Second Look.

The morning started as a dry, cloudy day with a flock of crows making a morning visit.



Later it started to snow and other birds arrived.



I saw a tufted titmouse.



and a male downy woodpecker who steadily ate while the other birds were in and out.


First he was joined by a Carolina wren.


Next a white-breasted nuthatch showed up.


Soon a junco came to take a bath in the snow on top of the feeder. The woodpecker kept eating away even though the junco was shaking things up. Next, the junco took a bath on top of the squirrel baffle.


Usually the juncos were hopping around below the feeder.


Several chickadees were flitting on and off the big feeder. They'd grab a seed and then go off to eat it.


Elsewhere, this pansy was still able to peek out from the falling snow.


We eventually ended up with about four inches of snow before it turned to sleet and freezing rain.



12 comments:

  1. Lovely...right up until you mentioned the freezing rain. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, freezing rain doesn't have magic to it that snow has.

      Delete
  2. It is winter some places! We didn't get any snow with our cold snap last week, and now it has warmed to the upper 30s/low 40s.

    Beautiful photos, though. I've always wondered what wild animals think of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on the animal and if snow is a common thing. There are a lot of possibilities to what animals think about snow. I'm going to be pondering that idea for a while.

      Delete
  3. I love to watch the cardinals in the snow. Their red colors against the white is so pretty.

    Snowy and 19 degrees here Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have cardinals around but I didn't see any this day. More neighbors have put up bird feeders, so the birds have a lot to choose from. Maybe the cardinals were next door on the day I took these pictures.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Snow and birds, that's are hard combination to beat for beauty.

      Delete
  5. That pansy of yours is really determined to stick around. The woodpecker has me laughing, our woodpeckers are pretty brave here too. I enjoyed this second look at it's too icy and cold for me to try to head outside for some nature time. We had freezing rain early last evening which then turned to snow so things are pretty slick here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our latest snow mostly melted, but then was followed by a cold snap. Unfortunately, we have a lot of black ice to contend with now. Luckily, I caught myself before I went all of the way down on some today.

      Delete
  6. I bet those birds are grateful for the bird-feeder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way. I know that I am grateful that they come visit because I enjoy watching them.

      Delete

What do you think?