Friday, May 17, 2013

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--May 17, 2013

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions.

This Week's Food Waste

Food Waste=None


This Week's True Food Confessions

A few things we had to eat this week. We were lucky to have fresh asparagus and greens from Uncle Billy's garden.

I started to write my regular Friday post and got a little bored with it. It was much like last week's so you can read that if you want to get a feel for it. In the meantime, I'm going to talk about something that has interested me for a while--what you call the meals you eat every day.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper
These are the four common names that are used for the meals of the day in most English speaking countries. Dinner came from a old French word that meant to break the fast of overnight and was usually used for the main meal of the day--one at noon in a two meal system. Over the years the main meal has changed from the first one of the day to the last one of the day and use of the word dinner has followed that change. When I was growing up, we had breakfast, dinner, and supper in that order. Calling dinner the evening meal was something that I only read about in books. I think this usage reflected that I grew up in a rural farming community. However, as I made my way out into the world, I gradually adopted the naming that I had read about. I eat breakfast when I first get up in the morning. I eat lunch in the middle of the day, and I have dinner during the early evening. (Although sometimes I still have supper then. It just depends if I am channeling my roots that day.)

What do you call the meals you eat every day? Has it changed over time?



10 comments:

  1. Firstly zero food waste = fantastic! Well done. Secondly I was having the lunch/dinner conversation with my daughter just recently. We decided that as dinner can be confusing - some use it to denote the midday meal and others the evening meal, it's safer to stick with lunch and supper, as you know where you are then. That's what we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now what happened to my reply comment to you? Anyway, your usage of the words corresponds to the way I use the words more that anyone else. I've heard that in Appalachia, when you study the language, it is more like the Queens old English than anything else.

      Delete
  2. That asparagus looks really great. Uncle Billy must have an amazing garden. I've been trying to grow asparagus for several years, and it's always spindly.

    I like the idea of a two-meal system -- less work for the cook. I grew up with breakfast, lunch, dinner. I only read about supper in books. LOL! I have been trying to make the shift to larger lunches for the whole family, and smaller dinners, as that's what our bodies are probably designed for. But that is difficult when you're packing lunches to go.

    Good job on no waste. None here, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regional differences of what we call our meals is interesting especially our complete opposite experiences with dinner and supper.

      As for asparagus. A few years ago, I decided that I was going to try an experiment. A found all of the wild asparagus in the yard that had been planted by birds and such and transferred it to a common bed. I followed all of the rules for planting it. That has been several years now, and while I do get attractive plants, I've never gotten anything to eat from it. So, I just depend on extras from Uncle Billy.

      Delete
  3. Ha! I too grew up with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Supper was just something that happened in the Little House on the Prairie books!

    This year is my first attempt at growing asparagus. I bought some roots from the nursery and planted them a few months ago. So far 3 lonely little sprigs have appeared, but that's it. They say you're not supposed to try to harvest it for at least a year, so hopefully it will get better established!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember, so Pa and Half Pint ate supper? I'm going to have to study this some more.

      Asparagus has to be a labor of love and patience. Here's for high hopes next year.

      Delete
  4. We usually have breakfast, "find something if you can and eat it", otherwise known as lunch at our house, and after all the milking and chores are done then we eat dinner if I remember to fix anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's probably how my father grew up and he passed that onto us--except we didn't have milking, etc. to do.

      Delete
  5. We usually have something easy for breakfast (cereal, oatmeal, cottage cheese or eggs) and leftovers for lunch. But dinner is something I actually spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen for. And no suppers :)

    This asparagus looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The asparagus was delicious. We roasted it in the oven with a little olive oil and lemon pepper.

      So people in the west don't seem to use the word supper. Interesting.

      Delete

What do you think?