Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Life

 
Sometimes life is hard. Bad things happen, and whether they be far away or up close, they are difficult. Yesterday, bombs went off at the Boston Marathon. Two weeks ago my father died. Three weeks ago, a family member was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

But you know what? Life goes on and good things happen too. Yesterday, I was surprised with a card from a friend across the pond. Two weeks ago, we heard the Baltimore Symphony perform Fantasia. Three weeks ago, I had a lovely Easter dinner with family.

Such is life with its ups and downs. Through the ups and downs, I want to live the best I can. To do this, I will ask for strength to climb the mountain when there is one in my path, and I will take time to notice the flowers on that climb. If I can do those two things, I will be happy.


14 comments:

  1. I think that's great advice to try and notice the little things when life throws you a curveball. It's something I struggle with, but it really does work.

    And it looks like you're getting some sunshine at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's true that little things do mean a lot--like the sunshine we are having today and the new flowers that are blooming every day.

      Delete
  2. That sounds a good route to happiness. Having good friends and family who are there to help you up the mountain, when the path is more level, and to enjoy the flowers with, helps a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good point--having friends and family around for the journey helps a lot. I am lucky to have both.

      Delete
  3. This year seems to be living up to it's 13-ness for me too. What with my kitty being sick, and CatMan's injury, and various stressful things money-wise. But I'm trying very hard to stay in the moment and not succomb to the worry/control freakout that I'm so prone to. It helps to remember that I really don't get a say in what happens, only in how I react.

    Hang in there, here's hoping we all can find the strength to climb our mountains and take time to smell the flowers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard for me to stay in the moment also. That is one reason I do this blog--to help me focus on every day things of the moment. Sometimes, I do very well, and sometimes I just get tired and revert to old ways. Today is a beautiful day, so I'm on my way outside to smell the flowers. Hope some of your snow melts soon so you can do the same.

      Delete
  4. Very poignant. Thank you for these true words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I have to give myself a pep talk. Ward says I am doing therapy with my blog.

      Delete
  5. This is a great post. It's healthy to look at the glass half full instead of half empty. There are a lot of hard moments to deal with (my good friends were at the Boston Marathon, but thankfully are okay), but if we can focus on the good, and be grateful, we will be much happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some of us, focusing on the good takes practice. I certainly need some of that practice, but I'm trying.

      Delete
  6. I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?