Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Second Look--April 10, 2013

We've had unusually warm weather recently and new things are sprouting and blooming every day. Some of the crocus are still flowering, and we have had three different varieties of daffodils bloom so far. The deer are enjoying the tender shoots of the growing day lilies (darn). The bluebird has come back and sits on top of the bluebird box from time to time. One time it actually went inside check it out. However, still no nest.

Here's what I found this week during a Second Look.

Purple crocus with insect in pollen.


Day lilies eaten by deer.




Some of the deer that have been eating the day lilies and other things.



Daffodils



Blue jay in maple blossoms




Squirrel on dogwood tree.



Daffodils



Male cardinal



Bluebird examining box


Daffodils



Leo and Annie taking a second look at me doing a Second Look.




8 comments:

  1. That first picture is beautiful :) And so are Leo and Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Let me assure you that Leo and Annie think they are beautiful also and try to use it to their advantage. :)

      Delete
  2. That's so funny about your cats. I'm a cat person and love their personalities.

    I have heard that deer won't touch daffodils. Do you find this to be true? Will the daylilies put on enough new growth to have blooms this year? I always seem to forget that some of our flowers and fruit will be lost to squirrels and slugs, and it takes me by surprise each year, when we don't have quite as much as I had planned/hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that the deer do leave the daffodils alone in my yard. If the deer didn't eat any more of them, the day lilies would put out enough new growth to bloom. However, it is hard for the deer to resist the tender growth. The deer have left alone my day lilies that are in too much shade to bloom any more. I don't know why they don't eat these. They can have all that they want.

      Delete
  3. The deer are both a joy and a problem here too. I wouldn't want them to move out of this area, but it makes it challenging to find things they won't eat. I'm sure you had so much more you could have photographed this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating when I find them next to my front door eating our new landscaping. I am happy to share. However, I don't seem to be able to direct the deer to where I want them to go. Maybe I should become a deer whisperer. :)

      Delete
  4. These are great pics!! Love the blue bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bluebird sat on top of the box for days before it even looked in.

      Delete

What do you think?