Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Second Look--March 6, 2013

Yesterday there was nothing. Today it appeared, in the middle of the yard in a patch of grass--my first crocus. (A squirrel must have planted it there.) I'm glad that I found it before it gets covered with the foot of snow that is predicted for tomorrow.

Also, I found four more bones this week, and I'm not sure what to think about that except there must be a lot of critter activity carrying these bones from place to place. Actually, I need to not think about these bones so much. Tonight at dinner, my half-eaten grill chesse sandwich looked like a squirrel jaw bone to me. But you know, I find it all so darn interesting.

Here's what I saw this week during my Second Look.


Lone crocus in the middle of the grass.


Downy Woodpeckers--female (l), male (r)


Bunny fur


This sky does not look like snow is coming soon.



Female cardinal


White-breasted nuthatch


The skeletal parts I found this week.


8 comments:

  1. I, too, am looking at the sky and confused by the forecast of snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow has started, but has not amounted to much yet. However, predictions of more snow to come has closed most things for the day.

      Delete
  2. That's too funny, that you're seeing bones everywhere! The ??? bone looks like it might be a tailbone, but it's hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be, but if you could see it up close, it's confusing. It's pretty eroded, so I couldn't even make a guess.

      Delete
  3. A lovely moment to the day, to see the single crocus in the grass, before it was covered by snow!

    As much as I love snow, please, please, keep it on your side of the country!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crocus was a total surprise and really made my day.

      Delete
  4. GREAT pics!! Love the pic of the cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just sat there for a while looking at the world. She wasn't eating.

      Delete

What do you think?