Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Second Look--March 13, 2013

It's been a good week with more days of sunshine than rain and more days of warmth than cold.  The crocus have started to bloom here and there, and their sparseness makes each one of them a treat to find. I think the groundhogs have emerged from hibernation because I found digging at one of the groundhog holes. I also found my mandatory bones. Both were very leached, so it was hard to tell what they were. However, I think one of them used to be a dog's chewing bone, and the other one belongs to some kind of mammal--maybe it's pelvis.

Here's What I Found This Week During a Second Look.


White Crocus




Purple crocus




Yellow crocus coming up through moss.



Purple striped crocus sharing spot with dandelion.



Female cardinal



Daffodils coming up through mulch.



First digging I've seen at this groundhog hole this year.


The snowdrops have finally opened a little.



Blue jay feathers



Crow

Bones



12 comments:

  1. Your photos are giving me hope that Spring might really be around the corner. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see the crocus, I know that all is well with the world.

      Delete
  2. It looks like spring is in the air :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is in the air. However, when I was out running errands this morning, I heard someone say that a big snow storm is forecast for the beginning of next week. I'm going to have to check that out.

      Delete
    2. That's what happened here - we had a lovely weekend gardening and being outside a couple of weeks ago and then it has been back to arctic temperatures again. It looks as though spring has definitely arrived with you, snow storm or no snow storm.

      Delete
    3. The weeding and raking I did while the weather was nice, now has me aching and sore. Maybe I need some "bad" weather to let me recover a little.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the crocus! I have a few where I can see them from the window and they remind me that although it's still gray out, spring is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see any from my windows, so I have to go exploring for them. Between the squirrels and the different beds that have been put in over the years, I don't really have a big display of them anywhere. I like a big mass of color, but I also like the sparseness of them. I think I appreciate them more that way.

      Delete
  4. Waking to snow this morning your pictures of spring have restored my hopes that it won't be long now here either. Your pictures always brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the pictures brighten your day. It brightens my day when I go exploring and take them.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures of flowers! We're still only heading into Mud Season in New England, but at least the buds on the trees and bushes are swelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess in the natural progression of things, mud season is something to look forward to because it leads to Spring.

      Delete

What do you think?