Thursday, February 14, 2013

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--Feb. 15, 2013

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions.

 This Week's Food Waste

The last serving of this salad turned slimy. (This was the next to last serving.)

 I had to get rid of slimy salad this week. I was looking forward to eating the last serving of a salad we had, but I was disappointed. Instead of crisp vegetables, I found soft, slimy ones. Out they went.
_________________________________________________________________________________

 This Week's True Food Confessions


This was our special dish this week.

We struggled a bit more this week to cook at home. Jobs were stressful and migraines were lingering. However, we did pretty well. One night we had dinner out with our brother-in-law who was visiting and another day we had lunch out. (BTW, I had very good meat loaf during this meal. After they sliced it, they blackened it. A different and tasty treat for me.) The rest of the time we cooked at home. Although, sometimes that only happened because we had some easy meals planned.

Now onto the great success of the week. Last week, I decided that we should try to cook some things that weren't in our normal rotation of dishes. This week we tried Maple Salmon with Bulgur Pilaf. I got the recipe from the January Good Housekeeping magazine, but it's also available online. The dish was essentially broiled salmon on a bed of quinoa*, peas, and celery and very easy to make. The whole family was happy with the meal. Theo said that he didn't know that food that is good for you could taste that good, and Wally had similar remarks. Ward was especially appreciative that I tried this recipe because he knows I'm not a fan of seafood. With that being said, I thought it was pretty good also. I think it helped that we used fresh salmon that was fairly mild in taste. Would I make it again? Yes. It was easy to make and filling. The flavors were mild, but blended well together.

Until next week...

*The recipe called for bulgur, but the store I was in didn't have any. I substituted quinoa and it worked well.


12 comments:

  1. Salad gets me every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually some kind of vegetable that I have a problem with. This time is was actually the cucumbers in the salad that caused the problem, but they slimed everything else.

      Delete
  2. That salmon looks really good! I'm a bit squeamish about cooking salmon because I hate skinning it. That's why I often order it when we go out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also squeamish about processing most meat. I didn't used to be, but it's something I've developed. These fillets came already skinned.

      Delete
  3. That salmon looks delicious and I'm also a big fan of quinoa :) I'm so glad your new recipe worked out well for the family. I also need to start experimenting more in the kitchen and learn some more meat dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like quinoa also, but usually don't buy it because it's expensive. I usually just go with brown rice. However, I'm going to start looking for more inexpensive ways to buy it.

      Delete
  4. That salmon looks like it could have come from a restaurant! Well done! I think I'll give that recipe a try. Thanks for the link to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was simple, but very good. I broiled my salmon almost twice as long as the recipe said to cook it until it was done. Although, my filets may have been thicker than the ones they used in the recipe. Also, it has a rather mild flavor, so if you family likes spicier food, you may want to add some hot sauce to the glaze.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I hear you on the migraine. You know, between the constant recalls and the fact that we can't get through all of it before it goes bad, I've stopped buying salad. It's easy to grow and we just have to go without it a few months of the year. But I do miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do occasionally worry about the recalls, but throw caution to the wind and buy the lettuce. You're right though. It is easy to grow and some people grow it inside during the winter. I'm sure my cats would love that.

      Delete
  6. That salmon looks great! I am having a hard time getting past the idea of mixing maple syrup with ketchup, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same concept as BBQ sauce. Ward said that he couldn't taste the maple syrup. That was good for me because I don't like a strong maple flavor. However, we all liked the glaze on the salmon.

      Delete

What do you think?