Thursday, January 31, 2013

A New Word

or What Does Velleity Mean?

I leaned a new-to-me word the other day that has all kinds of possibilities in all kinds of situations. It's usefulness makes me wonder why I didn't know about it before. 

Velleity---a noun that means to have a wish or desire to do something, but you are not interested in it enough to act on it.

To learn a word, you're supposed to use it in a sentence. Here's a couple of tries.

--My desire to take a walk around the neighborhood in the rain was more of a velleity than a real plan.

--Velleity is what keeps me from cleaning the lint out of the laundry sink. 

Can you think of a way that you could use velleity in a sentence?
_______________________________________________________
But wait, there's more.
Here's how you say velleity.

8 comments:

  1. My velleity keeps me from quitting coffee for good. It sure would be nice, though, to say that I was caffeine-free.

    Learned a new word, but my spell check thinks I'm spelling it wrong! Evidently my spell check has not learned a new word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my spell checks know it either. The word is still new to me, so I have to think about it before I use it. I hope that becomes a regular part of my vocabulary, though.

      Delete
  2. That's a new one for me too! Never heard of it before. How did you stumble upon it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading an editorial about the way we should be teaching our kids in schools today.

      Delete
  3. I opened the mail today and noticed a flier advertising a raffle for a 3.5 million dollar home. The velleity of living in such a mansion passed quickly though, when I thought about all the vacuuming!

    BTW - this word is apparently so uncommon that my spellchecker doesn't even recognize it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The velleity of the need for vacuuming passes quickly with me.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of it before but then I'm very velleiticious when it comes to reading the dictionary!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?