Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Second Look--December 12, 2012

The weather has been cold recently, enough so, that I came in with rosy checks after doing my Second Look. Despite the cold weather, I found a few flowers that were providing color to an otherwise drab landscape and several birds visiting our feeder.


It seems as if you can find the ever-faithful dandelion blooming any time of the year.









You can see all of the way through this knot hole.


These downy(left) and hairy(right) woodpeckers visited the feeder at the same time. Pretty exciting.






There are two squirrel's nests in this tree.


They look more scraggly each week, but these mums are hanging on.


This picture was taken from Wally's and Theo's tree house. It doesn't get much use these days.


Some birds like to eat these nandina berries.


The view of our house from the back of the yard.



7 comments:

  1. Lovely photos as usual :) I can't remember, do you get snow where you are? It looks like you still have quite a bit going on in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, my pictures are skewed toward anything that has some color to it. Most everything is brown outside.
      Yes, we get snow. Some years a lot and some years a little. The heaviest snows usually come in January and February though.

      Delete
  2. I love looking at the things you find on your second look, it's the highlight of my week! I've never seen two types of woodpeckers at the same feeder before and LOVE the knot hole you found. No snow has accumulated here, but even our dandelions are gone. The mums didn't last long, we spotted rabbits munching away as soon as they were planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen any dandelions for a while, but I think these must have sprung up during a warm spell we had. It's interesting that rabbits ate your mums. The mums in this picture are in the spot where there was a rabbit's nest several years in a row. I guess they moved to another spot.

      Delete
  3. Look at this sunny dandelion!It definitely brings smile on my face... Everything is covered with snow here right now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know dandelions are considered weeds, but I've always thought they were pretty with their bright yellow flowers.

      Delete
  4. The dandelion is so pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?