Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Socks

or Holey Moly, I Can See My Toe


Yesterday, I left for work with a perfectly good pair of socks. However, I came home with a pair of tattered socks that were ready to be retired. At some point that morning, my toe poked through the end of my sock and I was annoyed for the rest of the day. It's amazing how fast they went from a favorite pair to a pair that I probably won't wear again. You see, I'm very particular about my socks. Some people don't mind a hole in the toe of their sock (like my son), but I can't stand it. Also, I don't like it if my socks are too big and wrinkle under my feet, and I don't like it if they're too tight either. You might say that I have sensitive feet.

But the sock gods were watching out for me yesterday in another way. After I came home disappointed with my holey sock, an almost miraculous thing happened. I was finally able to match all of the family's white socks while folding the laundry. Every sock in the odd sock pile was matched with a sock in yesterday's laundry. Something that hasn't happened for a long, long time. That certainly was a very satisfying event and almost made up for my sock disappointment that morning.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
But Wait, There's More:
What are your favorite kinds of socks? Do you have a brand or style you would recommend? I am always in search of the perfect pair of socks.


14 comments:

  1. Oy! I know. A hole in your sock is strangely disheartening. I, too, find a lot of satisfaction in locating a perfect pair, but honestly, my best ones tend to come from my mom. Moms like to keep their babies' feet warm, even if their babies are in their 30s. :-) Actually, the ones that AF knit and gave me when I moved to NYC are wonderfully warm. They're still one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pair that my sister-in-law knit me for Christmas last year that are pretty nice also. My current favorite pair is a pair of hiking socks. I got some Gold-Toe ones last year, that I thought would be perfect, but they scrunch up under my feet. They are well made, but don't work well with my feet and shoes.

      Delete
  2. My feet don't like socks that bunch up on the bottom either.I find that so distracting that I can hardly function. I should learn to knit socks, then I could make them fit my feet perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you learned to knit customized socks, I bet you would make a fortune.

      Delete
  3. For work I like comfy socks that have "padding" and make my day more comfortable. But when the elastic goes and they start creeping down in my shoe... it is time to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand the creep either. When I was a kid, it seemed as if my knee socks always did that.

      Delete
  4. I can't stand a holey sock, actually I can't stand socks. Socks annoy me, I was known to wear mine inside-out because the stitching over the toe bothered me, now I just don't bother to wear them. Can you darn them? I wish I had kept my grandmother's darning thingy after watching how fast my boys went through socks when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toe seam in a sock can definitely be annoying. However, shoes rubbing my feet without socks bothers me even more. Do your feet get cold in the winter without socks?

      The particular socks in this post aren't in good enough shape to darn. There are several other thin spots just waiting for another toe to poke through. I don't know how to darn, but I am fascinated with it. Can you do it?

      Delete
  5. I used to spend hours mending socks, but I've finally come to the conclusion that in most cases it's just not worth the trouble, because once they're worn enough to form a hole, they're usually threadbare on the bottom and more holes are inevitable.

    I have such an odd relationship with footwear in general. My feet are ALWAYS cold... except when they're hot. Seriously, there isn't much in between. So my problem is that my feet sweat, and then they freeze. The only thing that seems to work in the winter is one layer of cotton athletic socks under wool slippers. Any thing else creates the sweat/freeze scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we're all looking for the perfect pair of socks. Good luck keeping your feet warm during this cold season. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

      Delete
  6. That hole in the sock thing is an irritating phenomenon indeed. But almost worth it if the pay off was all those white socks matching up. We have a similar grey school sock issue here with my son. He's got tons of pairs, but all slightly different and because of the erratic way he deals with dirty laundry (scattered on his bedroom floor, stuffed under the bed, etc), they all get separated very easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that one of my sons is the major culprit in having mismatched socks in the laundry. Something that started long before he was doing his own laundry.

      Delete
  7. my wife always get on to me about the state my socks are in. And i don`t mind, i just turn them a quarter and keep on walking. So my wife takes good care of me and makes sure to get me new socks every Christmas in my stocking. And she than real sneaky throws away my battered socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I guess that it's almost time for you to get new socks. Enjoy them and the great system you have going with your wife.

      Delete

What do you think?