Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Second Look--October 24, 2012

Fall is here in all of its glory. The trees are really starting to turn while a few flowers are still blooming. The nights are cool and the days are warm. I'm glad that I got a chance to enjoy it this week.

See what I found this week during a Second Look.

We have a new color of mum blooming. (Notice the criss-crossing spirals in the middle.)


Most of the coneflowers have gone to seed, but a few are still hanging on like this one.


Fungus always grows more vigorously in the fall.


Most of the sweet gum trees, like this one, are in prime color.


I found a violet and fleabane both of which usually bloom earlier in the year.


We have a big crop of black walnuts this year. Too bad we don't like them.


Last week, only one of these mums was blooming. Now there are many.


Honeysuckle vine twisting around itself and a wild cherry tree.


4 comments:

  1. What I love about your Second Look posts is that there's always something that reminds me of my own garden, but always lots of things that are completely different. This week your Sweet Gum leaves remind me of my Virginia creeper which was looking beautiful last week but over the weekend virtually all of the leaves blew away in some gusty rainy storms. However we don't have many flowers blooming any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year, things can change so fast. I remember last year that a maple tree had all of it's leaves one week, and one week later, after a rain storm, it was completely bare.

      Delete
  2. Love all the flowers you're finding, even when it seems like the main flowering season is months behind us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one reason I do a Second Look. It forces me to get out and see what's really there.

      Delete

What do you think?