Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Second Look--October 10, 2012

We've had some cold, overcast days this week with rain here and there. The result was that I've been cold, but I haven't gotten out my heavy jacket yet. The marigolds are still blooming and the maple trees have just started to turn. Many plants are ready for winter either by setting their blooms for next year or forming seeds to sprout in the spring. During this week's Second Look, I focused on seeds. Although they may not be as colorful as the flowers before them, I find seeds have their own beauty.

Here's What I Found This Week

Coneflower seed heads. Notice the flower on the right has had some seeds eaten by a goldfinch.



Acorns from our biggest oak tree



I plan to save seeds from these marigolds for next year.



Siberian iris seed pods. I leave these up during the winter for interest.



Japanese maple seeds



Milkweed seed pod with milkweed bugs (and a lone lady bug).  Even though they look like two different kinds of bugs, they are all milkweed bugs. The difference is maturity. The more mature the bug, the more black it has.



Day lily seed pod




Dogwood berries




Sunflower


6 comments:

  1. I leave the sedum stalks and seed heads up through winter. Because they retain their shape, I think they add nice form, even tough they're brown. They also make nice dried stalks for indoors (shake off the seeds outside first).

    I'm not one of those gardeners who rushes to clean everything up (with the exception of fallen leaves) at the end of the season. I leave quite a bit just as it finished, until the next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't rush to clean everything up either. There's just too much of it to get excited. However, I do try to get some of it done or I am overwhelmed in the spring. I also try to leave most things up that retain their form during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our marigolds are still lovely here too. I love the pictures. There is so much to appreciate this time of year, except the need for those heavy coats and extra blankets just to be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my heavier cloths when I first bring them out because I've been getting tired of my summer clothes. However, I'd rather be bored with my clothes than need warmer ones.

      Delete
  4. Love the pictures! Marigolds are my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marigolds seem to be the work horse of the annuals. They are inexpensive, easy to grow, and just keep blooming. (However, we haven't had a frost yet.)

      Delete

What do you think?