Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Second Look--July 4, 2012

Last weekend severe storms ripped through our area causing a lot of damage. We were very lucky in that we only lost power for a few hours and a couple big branches. Many are still waiting for power and trying to survive in the stifling heat we are having. Our thoughts go out to all of them.

In the meantime, I was able to take a second look around the yard. A couple of new kinds of day lilies are blooming this week as well as our second hydrangea bush with pink blossoms. The deer have been by for their daily snacks and the birds are enjoying our feeder.

Also, here's an update on the baby birds I mentioned a couple weeks ago. The newly hatched sparrows only lasted about a day before something got them. However, the five bluebird eggs have hatched are doing well in the protection of their nesting box.



Here's what a saw this week.

A branch from a sweet gum tree that came down with the storm.




A new color of day lily that is blooming



We put soap in the tree to deter the deer from feasting on the hosta. Didn't seem to work.



Another new kind of day lily( Kwanso) is blooming




Our pink hydrangea bush




Celosia




Fleabane--one our prettier weeds




There are five baby bluebirds in this nesting box that are about 10-12 days old. Notice they are developing some blue feathers.



6 comments:

  1. Glad you weathered the storm! Sure would be nice if we could just get the rain without all the drama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To keep deer away, my friend swears that human hair stuffed into the leg of a pair of tights (pantyhose) and then hung where you don't want the deer works.
    Never had to try it myself but apparently the residual smell acts as a deterant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try that next. I also have a friend that it works for. From what I read, it depends on how used the deer are to humans. If they don't mind being around them, the hair doesn't seem to deter the deer. I asked my sons to bring home hair from their last haircut. Guess what? They didn't. Said they felt strange asking the barber for the hair he swept up.

      Delete
  3. Lovely pics, and I especially love the baby bluebirds! Sooo cute! I hope you'll post some more photos of them as they grow bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard for me to get a picture of the birds in the box. I'm hoping for a new box next year where the top lifts so I can take a picture of them from the top.

      I think that will be the last picture of the baby blue birds. They say not to open the box anymore because they are active enough at this point they might fall out. Also, soon the mother will take them out of the box into the woods and hide them. She will still be feeding them some, but they will be learning to be on their own.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, you definitely don't want to risk them falling out! Over here you can get these webcam things quite cheaply for nest boxes, but that would be a bit technical for me! My kids' school had one in their nest box where some bluetits were nesting, so they could watch them grow without disturbing them.

    I guess mummy bluebirds are cleverer than I thought...I imagined them hopping around while you clicked away on the camera!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?